Thursday, May 30, 2013

The National Museum & Royal Palace


I woke up this morning around 6:00 am. A few people went for a walk with Dyer for about an hour then went back to the hotel. For breakfast, I had a baguette, mango, hot chocolate and a purple fruit. I didn’t like the fruit that much but I’m glad I tried it.

We went to the National Museum and learned a little bit of Cambodia’s history. I saw that some of the statues had a lot of arms on their bodies even though most of the arms had been broken off. We learned that some of the religions that are here in Cambodia are Buddhism and Hinduism. My favorite piece of art is called the Singe Monkey. He has the arms and legs of a human and the body of a monkey. The monkey symbolizes that the religion is Buddhism. It also shows that he is strong like a man.

In the evening, we went over to the Royal Palace and got a tour of the place. I took lots of pictures of the palace. In my opinion it was very interesting to learn about and to see what the palace was like years ago. We had dinner at a place that helps orphans and street children succeed in life. I tried a grilled fish fillet and it ended up being really good. I also tried a nice mango drink and found that to be very good as well.  I am feeling very happy that this day went as planned.  Now I’m ready to fall asleep and continue my journey in Cambodia tomorrow.

~Ali Anders

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for trying new foods...I'm sure you'll have many more opportunities for that during the rest of the trip. Even after one day, think of all you've learned. You seem ready for whatever comes!

    ReplyDelete