Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hallo from tired and fabulous travelers

Gutenabend from Berlin! Today was facsinating. We went to Sachenhausen, which was one of the first concentration camps and the model of the ideal death camp. It was a very heavy morning, and our group was impressively appropriately somber. While we were surrounded by other groups who at times seemed unaffected by our surroundings, every Northpointer felt it very deeply and personally. After leaving the camp, and when we could breathe again, we processed both our feelings and reactions in conversation, üparticularly grateful for the opportunites and freedoms we have. We lunched at Potsdamer Platz (my group devoured Asain fusion, YUM!) and spent the afternoon at the Jewish History Museum with a guide, and then to Turkish food for dinner. The group that we booked with Schoolclash has been fabulous and while we can't take Dennis, Leen and Jan with us, we are quite bonded to them. I HIGHLY recommend them to any school group traveling to Berlin, and will definitely use them for my Germany trip in 2013. Amazing people, and their organization has a very similar philosophy to NELA. They have been consistently impressed with the level of depth and care in our students, and I have to admit, I am proud of how this group has been representing our school, our state, and our country. Fabulous! Tomorrow, we go to see some more funky art in the morningand return to Frankfurt in the evening.

If you've been feelin a lack of images, it's because the hostel (Hostel Alcatraz, another great success!) are too slow for us to want to upload pics on...be patient and I'll post some soon!

Much love to all of our readers.

3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna put on, my, my, my boogie shoes! It sounds like you boogied (walked) all over Berlin and the surroundings! Awesome.
    And of course, we already know we have the best students in the whole world at NELA. I am glad that the Germans are able to discover that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete