Saturday, June 8, 2013

Dengue Fever Concert


Wednesday, June 5, 2013



I can honestly say that last night was (so far) the best night in Phnom Penh. Myself (Hannah), Abbey, Ari, Ali, Dane, Bailey, Matt, Anthony, Sam, Roger, and the two teachers Mrs. Zych and Mr. Dyer went to a Dengue Fever concert.

Before the concert we had dinner on the “street.” This was interesting because before we had only eaten in restaurants. Although it was different, I loved it. The food had more flavor and the people were so nice, even though they knew almost no English.

After dinner we took tuk-tuks to central Phnom Penh. When we first got there I wasn’t too excited. It was outside and no one was dancing. I was ready to go back to the hotel. I was looking around and I saw some friends we had made at the first homestay! Visal, Kavich, Pich, and Srey Neang. There were a couple more but I can’t spell their names. This got my classmates and I so excited. A couple minutes later the band got up on stage. Everyone was screaming and clapping and whistling so loud, and they all looked so happy. Abbey and I worked our way up to the front with our Cambodian friends and sang and danced our butts off.

The band consisted of three American men and one Cambodian woman. The Cambodian woman was married to the guitarist and their love for each other showed through their music. His instrument was an electric guitar combined with chapei dong veng, the Cambodian guitar. The two other guys played the saxophone and the other a regular electric guitar. The mixture of cultures was very interesting to watch.

When the concert was almost over and the band was on their last song, the lead singer told us that anyone who wanted could come up onstage for the last song. I was literally pulled onstage before I knew what was happening. We sang and danced our hearts out during the last song. It was so amazing.

Sadly, like all things, the night had to come to an end and we were forced to say goodbye. Hopefully I will get to see all of my new friends in the near future.

~Hannahxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great night for you all. I have heard Dengue Fever give an interview on the radio, but I have never seen them perform in person. Music truly is the international language. And how wonderful that you already have made Cambodian friends and that you could find each other again in this large city and share in the fun together. As they sing at Disney - It's a small world after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, sounds as if the trip continues to reach new heights for you and the crew. I anticipate the highlights will continue. What I'm wondering is if Mr. Dyer performed his world famous "robot" on the stage or Ms. Zych did her "worm"? It would have brought the house down for sure!

    ReplyDelete